The federal government said Tuesday that it has secured release of 30,000 people from the grip of Book Haram terrorists in less than three years of its assumption of office.
The government said of the over 200 school girls abducted by the terrorists
In the last administration, over 100 have since regained their freedom through its intervention, saying it was working towards seeing the free release of the remaining others
Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said this in his opening remarks at this public presentation of the Policy Framework and National Action Plan for preventing and countering violent extremism,organised by the Office of the National Security Adviser,in Abuja.
“The record of success is there for all to see: At least 30,000 hostages kidnapped by Boko Haram extremist group, including women and Children, have been rescued by the military. More than 100 Chibok girls have so far been rescued.
“The government is committed to the safe return of the remaining Chibok girls while rehabilitating and reuniting them with their families and communities,” he disclosed. Mohammed said Sambisa Forest has become too hot for Boko Haram and they are now escaping to neighbouring communities.
Boko Haram is no longer able to carry out organized attacks. They hold no territory and their flag, which they were flying in Bama and other territories they used to occupy, has become a shroud,”he added.
He said the challenge left for government at the moment was to develop the strategies to counter the dangerous ideologies and messages being peddled by the extremists,adding the “Federal government is not unmindful of structural conditions that make an environment conducive to the growth of violent extremism, such as unemployment, poverty, lack of education, corruption, and other social-economic factors.”
Through various policies and programmes of this administration, these structural conditions are being addressed on a daily basis,”he said.